Food & Lifestyle Blog

Tuesday 5 January 2016

How to make your own Hummus!


I have recently found a new obsession: hummus. As hard as it is to believe, I never used to like it. In fact, I used to detest it! Then all of a sudden, after a few years of not tasting it, I tried it and have never looked back! 

Despite being a little pricey in the supermarkets for such a small container, I have become a self-diagnosed hummus addict, which is an expensive addiction to have. That's when I had an epiphany and decided to make my own hummus! And it is absolutely delicious, with a perfectly creamy texture, so how could I not share the recipe with you?

Ingredients
1.5 cups (12 oz) canned chickpeas
2 heaped tbsp tahini
Juice of 1 whole lemon
2.5 tbsp olive oil
3 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cumin or garlic salt (or both)
a dash of paprika
2 tbsp water
Optional: fresh/ground turmeric to taste

Instructions
1. Drain and rinse the can of chickpeas.
2. In a food processor / strong blender, pour in the tahini and squeeze an entire lemon.
3. Blend the tahini and the lemon together to create a fluffy texture. 
4. Add in the rest of your ingredients: olive oil, sea salt, cumin, garlic salt, paprika. Blend everything together well.
5. Finally, measure out half of your chickpeas (3/4 cup) and blend them in to the mix, before adding the remaining half until you reach a thick houmous texture.
6. Add in 2 tbsp of water to make the mixture moist and fluffy. Blend again with the water.
7. Store the houmous in an airtight container and keep refrigerated.

I love having it with veggie sticks, dipping homemade sweet potato fries in it, spreading it on rye bread with smashed avocado or dolloping it into my salads!






Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Designed by pipdig